WotC Erratas, Complete List

I was wondering how Magmar Fossil’s Smokescreen interacts with Chansey Base Set’s Double Edge. Does nothing happen to Magmar and Chansey does damage to itself? It does so in the old gameboy game, but in TCGOne it does not.

The Smokescreen requirements might be different in the Wizards era. IIRC you have to meet requirements before the flip. This would include things like discarding Energy cards. I’m not sure that it would also include self-damage. I’ll try to find an official ruling from Japan.

After clarifying with Japan, the Energy discarding and self-damage will only occur after a successful Smokescreen (and Confusion) flip.

① attack declaration
If you do not have the energy to use attack, or if you are affected by the effect that attack cannot be used, you cannot declare an attack.

② Checking and processing the status of the opponent's opponent Pokemon
For Baby, flips the coin.
If tails, attack will fail.
If heads, proceed to ③.

③ Checking and processing the status of the Pokemon declared as attack
a. If the Pokemon that declared the attack received "Smoke screen" or "Sand-attack"(an effect that lasts on the opponent's turn), flips the coin.
If tails, attack will fail.
If heads, proceed to ③b.

b. attack If the declared Pokemon is confusing, flips the coin.
If tail, attack will fail.
If it is head, proceed to ④.

④ Execution of attack
Performs attack processing on the opponent's opponent Pokemon.
1 Like

Thanks, Jason for the clarification!

Can someone confirm whether or not Energy Flow should only be able to return Basic Energy cards to hand?

Energy Flow was able to return Basic and Special energies when I played it back in the day. I used it with Scoop Up, Mewtwo movie Promo, and Chansey. Don’t know what the Japanese ruling was for it though.

The term used on the Japanese card is 「基本エネルギーカード」 which is explicitly “Basic Energy Card”

2 Likes

Mew’s Rainbow Wave can only choose a type from Basic Energy attached to it. It should read as follows.

Choose a Basic Energy card attached to Mew. This attack does 20 damage to each of your opponent’s Pokémon of that type (including Benched Pokémon) . Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance.

Hi all;
New here so I’m not sure if this has been answered, tried reading above but I didn’t find anything.

I remember playing Base-Neo and a really controversial ruling was regarding Metal Energy and its effects on cards that deal damage to yourself.

I think the most common example back then was with Rockets Zapdos. You’d have R Zap, with one metal and two lightning energy; and at the time, Zapdos would deal 20 less to itself and 10 less to the opponent.

My two main questions are if this is how that interaction was supposed to take place and if not, how is it played now?

I was always skeptical about Metal Energy working this way so I decided to finally confirm with official Japanese sources a few years ago. It turns out Metal Energy does indeed function this way where self-damage from non-Metal Pokémon is double reduced.

There are some minor erratas on Metal Energy (it doesn’t reduce damage from Pokémon Powers, just attacks), but the double reduction is legit.

Wait, but what’s the logic behind this? (if there’s any)

I mean, each Metal energy reads “reduce the damage done by 10” , so if I have 2 Metal energies attached and attack, I should deal Minus20 damage… why it only reduces damage done by 10, and self damage by 20? I don’t get it

We are discussing self-damage for Metal Energy. A Pokémon with two Metal Energy would of course have damage reduced by 20.

1 Like

I’m in a community that plays webcam games of the WotC-era formats and the rules have been a hot topic recently. In the past we used the ruling compendium at WotC POKÉMON TRADING CARD GAME RULINGS COMPENDIUM however we know a lot of these rulings are wrong or based off mistranslations. We’ve also been using your blog Jason, so thank you for the great content and hard work.

I was wondering if anyone here has a list of rulings made from Japan or from the Japanese community. Or a list of ‘accepted’ rulings for these formats that their community has decided on. For example, if a player wanted to know if evolving a pokemon removes the effect of Smokescreen, is there already a place where we can look up the non-WotC rulings instead of asking this or other groups individually?

Thank you!

Glad you’ve found the blog useful! You are right that the Compendium has numerous rulings we know today to have been wrong. Simple rules, though, like evolving out of Smokescreen, Wizards got right. It’s some of the more complicated stuff, especially the erratas, that got tricky. I reach out to players from Japan for all rulings questions. Many times, we are able to verify rulings with official Pokémon Card magazines from Japan that cite the ruling.

However, I don’t believe Japan has an online equivalent of the Compendium for old rulings. You kind of just have to ask a knowledgeable player and look through the old magazines.

Sorry to be digging up old threads, but I too have a question regarding a card that I know Jason hates, Elekid. Elekid’s pokemon power states to apply weakness and resistance. From what I can see (google translate), Elekid’s power does not specify to use weakness and resistance or to not use weakness and resistance on the Japanese version. All other versions state to apply weakness and resistance. Thoughts?

This is an interesting find. I always thought it was weird that it did apply Weakness & Resistance. I’ll reach out to Japan.

Following up on this a few months later, wondering if this wasn’t their first attempt at an energyless attack, sort of like we saw on alolan pokemon in the SuMo sets.

I think this makes sense as follows:

Other Powers in Japanese around that time such as Machamp’s Strike Back and Dark Golbat’s Sneak Attack explicitly state not to apply Weak/Resist.

Dark Gyarado’s Final Beam and Elekid’s Playful Punch do not, and both of these Powers are known to be affected by Weakness and Resistance.

This implies that since the Power says to “do damage” you apply Weak/Resist unless otherwise stated in Japanese.

Sorry for the late reply. I was given the same explanation by Japan. Weakness and Resistance are always applied for damage (even Powers) unless attacking the bench or the card explicitly stating not to. This means a Power like Elekid’s Playful Punch does indeed apply Weakness & Resistance. Complicating things is the fact that Wizards botched some of these. For example, in Japanese, Dark Golbat’s Sneak Attack states not to apply Weakness and Resistance. However, when translated, it erroneously says to apply it.

Hi @JasonKlaczynski, could you update your post with Feraligatr vs Allergic Pollen interaction?

FYI, I’ve just implemented Allergic Pollen and also applied following errata to Riptide:

Feraligatr’s Riptide will only deal additional damage if the Water Energy cards are shuffled back into the owner’s deck

1 Like