Japanese Promos from Gen 1 & Gen 2

I’ve suggested, many times, adding some custom formats to this site. This would allow us to ban cards from certain kinds of play… (Imagine a Base~Neo without Babies, Chaos Gym, and Rocket’s Sneak Attack!) It would also open the doors for an ‘Anything Goes’ format that would be super chaotic and probably just for testing/just for fun between friends. I think that a custom format would also allow for a format that would include cards like this, kind of like a ‘Base~Neo+’ format.

2 Likes

Agreed. I havent worked on creating the cards in a while, but I will get back on it soon. When they are done and added, we should try to get new formats added. I think “New HoFF” and “Prop 15/3” should be added.

Adding a custom formats feature has been on my mind for a while recently. I want the new feature to support any kind of custom requirements like Hall of Fame, Prop 15/3 and GLC at player’s will. There will be an advanced UI to specify format inclusion criteria with filters. I recently only did an internal design of the structures to describe custom formats but the execution process hasn’t started yet.

4 Likes

Seriously, this would be amazing and above what I expected, to be quite honest! It would also be sick to get a custom format for the Gameboy game and Gameboy sequel. If there was ever an emergence of people playing the TCG 1 on the Switch, online, this site could be used by a lot more people like they use Pokemon Showdown to practice before making the decks in-game. Anyway, just want to tell you how freaking excited I am for this feature. It opens a lot of doors and I just want to encourage it. :slight_smile:

To make sure we stay on topic, I’ve created a new topic to discuss my ideas:

1 Like

These would be my requested top eleven that seem to be the most unique/fun: (not including the Porygon which I understand many do not want on the site):

Hungry Snorlax, Cubone (CoroCoro promo), Koga’s Ninja Gym (CoroCoro promo), Steelix (Pokémon Card Trainers promo), Charizard (Premium File 2 promo), Marill (ANA promo), Great Rocket’s Mewtwo (Pokémon Card GB2 promo), Dark Ivysaur (Pokémon Card Trainers Promo), Dark Venusaur (Pokémon Card Trainers Promo), Dark Fearow (Pokémon Card GB2 promo), Jynx (CoroCoro promo)

1 Like

Good choices, I would also add:

Lugia (GB2 promo), Smoochum (Corocoro), Magby (Intro neo), Shining Mew (Corocoro).

Porygon should also be added to tcgone, but in unlimited format only, so it can be used in Hall of fame format when custom formats come out.

Those English mock ups have me salivating! Definitely interested in seeing more (and possibly implementing these on here?) :slight_smile: @admin

We can definitely have those cards implemented on TCG ONE, but I need someone to handle the process of digitizing the card text.

The process of adding cards to TCG ONE starts with Card metadata correctly typed into a special YAML form in carddb repo, under this folder. As you can see, each expansion has a YAML file, so we’d need these cards to be put under their own YAML file. This YAML file has a structure to enter card information in.

For official English expansions, we have a helper module that transforms card data from pokemontcg.io into TCG ONE format, but since they don’t have card information for these promo cards, the info should be manually typed. (Honestly, it would have been great if there was an AI-driven way to get them from card scans directly)

After the metadata has been entered into YAML file, please issue a Pull Request on Github to add this file into the repository. Automated checks will be performed on the given YAML file to ensure it’s valid and in expected format. If there are no issues, I will accept the pull request.

We will then need to put the scans in our scans server. I can give you access to that when we’re at this stage. After then comes the implementation stage, where each card effect need to be programmed and I can handle this part. Let me know if you have any questions about this process.

1 Like

Hi Admin! I am really having trouble with even the most basic understanding of the 1st step in this process such as creating a folder for these cards in https://github.com/tcgone/carddb/tree/master/data/src/main/resources/cards.

Is there anyone else who understands this whole process out there that can help with this? I am happy to type out moves and Cards but I honestly am not tech savvy enough for what is instructed above

Hi jamie756, the first step involves creating a YAML file (in that folder you’ve linked) with all meta information of the cards that are going to be added, similar to the other files in that folder. The internal format can be deducted by looking at one of the existing files. E.g. create “175-japanese-promos.yaml” then fill in the card structure.

Hi Admin,

I have finished making the YAML file with all of the data using the existing formatting. I am having trouble creating a Pull Request. When I click New Pull Request, it takes me to Compare · tcgone/carddb · GitHub and there’s 2 Options for Base and Compare, which I do not know how to use or proceed or what to with. I am stuck here, as the Create Pull Request is greyed out and unable if you could please guide me through this.

If it is easier, I could e-mail you the YAML file. Please let me know.

Hi jamie756, the process is a little more complicated, you first need to fork a branch under your username then upload your file with a new commit before sending a pull request. Check out this article. Remember Google as your friend :wink: Send me a PM if you have more questions.

Hi Admin,

Okay thanks, I have submitted the Pull request. Please let me know if any questions or next steps.

1 Like

Unfortunately I do not see any PR submitted. Can we continue this conversation through a PM? Send me a screenshot please.

Kudos to @jamie756 for submitting metadata for these cards!

Now we need all English fakes. @FGR89 is there any further progress you can share with us?

2 Likes

At this point, I got proxies made of most Japanese exclusive cards from that era. They are on gen 2 templates, though.

4 Likes

Hi. I have created quite a few cards since the last time, but I had abandoned it a bit. Now that I know the project is progressing, I promise to create more when I have time. I’m storing everything in personal albums on Imgur…

Imgur albuns
sorry for putting the links this way, I can’t put direct links to imgur

They are not final versions yet. I hope the community can take the time to check for spelling or translation errors, suggest changes, suggest better images or scans, etc. and discuss it here.

3 Likes

Hi @FGR89 @linkinboss I’ve shared a Dropbox shared folder with you as private message so you can both upload the files in there. It’s important to follow consistent numbering with metadata. Full file contents

For reference, I’m including recap of the whole process;

Metadata YAML file

All the cards to be listed on TCG ONE needs to be first defined in a Metadata YAML file on carddb repository. Each “expansion” gets its own YAML file.

Metadata YAML draft prepared by @jamie756 in Github. Contributions are called “Pull Request” (PR) on Github. Here is the PR for this one

How to make suggestions/changes to the draft YAML in PR

Further suggestions/changes to this metadata should be handled in the PR, by selecting the relevant lines, then adding a comment & suggestion. Example;

Card numbering system

Each “expansion” gets its own YAML file. Each card in an “expansion” should be assigned a unique card “number” for that expansion. It typically starts from 1 but card “numbers” may contain letters (like prefixes) too, e.g. GB5 is also valid. Alternate arts can take suffixes too, e.g. 43b

Scan file naming

Each scan file should be named equal to their card number in the set. Example;

id: 116-1
pioId: unnumbered-1
enumId: SLOWPOKE_1
name: Slowpoke
nationalPokedexNumber: 79
number: ‘1’

For above card definition, its scan file should be either 1.jpg or 1.png.

Needless to say cards of each expansion goes into a different folder.

Scans

We are tracking the scans in this Dropbox folder.

Note that this link is view only. If you wish to contribute just send me a PM or reply below then I’ll send you the editing link.

Kudos to @linkinboss for preparing and uploading scans!

Latest Updates

I am sharing some latest messages here for visibility;

Next Items

Please review & comment suggestions on the PR shared above.

Let me know whether it makes sense to include all GB Exclusive Cards alongside this work? Or do you think it should be done separately? I am especially interested to have all the cards that produce random effects, as getting those random effects implemented here would be fun. @FGR89 have shared some of them in this topic in the past but there are many more to be done. We can find a numbering system that works for all. Either in separate expansions or a single one. Please comment on what you think would be the best.

1 Like

I got all the TCG1 cards done in an older template, but I can move them to the higher-quality Neo template I got. Regarding the TCG 2 since there is no official source for the illustrations, I’d like to see how I can procure illustrations that I have permission to use, so far I’ve only done Dark Clefable from that game.

1 Like