Japanese Promos from Gen 1 & Gen 2

Hi Admin,

I have finished making the YAML file with all of the data using the existing formatting. I am having trouble creating a Pull Request. When I click New Pull Request, it takes me to Compare · tcgone/carddb · GitHub and there’s 2 Options for Base and Compare, which I do not know how to use or proceed or what to with. I am stuck here, as the Create Pull Request is greyed out and unable if you could please guide me through this.

If it is easier, I could e-mail you the YAML file. Please let me know.

Hi jamie756, the process is a little more complicated, you first need to fork a branch under your username then upload your file with a new commit before sending a pull request. Check out this article. Remember Google as your friend :wink: Send me a PM if you have more questions.

Hi Admin,

Okay thanks, I have submitted the Pull request. Please let me know if any questions or next steps.

1 Like

Unfortunately I do not see any PR submitted. Can we continue this conversation through a PM? Send me a screenshot please.

Kudos to @jamie756 for submitting metadata for these cards!

Now we need all English fakes. @FGR89 is there any further progress you can share with us?

2 Likes

At this point, I got proxies made of most Japanese exclusive cards from that era. They are on gen 2 templates, though.

4 Likes

Hi. I have created quite a few cards since the last time, but I had abandoned it a bit. Now that I know the project is progressing, I promise to create more when I have time. I’m storing everything in personal albums on Imgur…

Imgur albuns
sorry for putting the links this way, I can’t put direct links to imgur

They are not final versions yet. I hope the community can take the time to check for spelling or translation errors, suggest changes, suggest better images or scans, etc. and discuss it here.

3 Likes

Hi @FGR89 @linkinboss I’ve shared a Dropbox shared folder with you as private message so you can both upload the files in there. It’s important to follow consistent numbering with metadata. Full file contents

For reference, I’m including recap of the whole process;

Metadata YAML file

All the cards to be listed on TCG ONE needs to be first defined in a Metadata YAML file on carddb repository. Each “expansion” gets its own YAML file.

Metadata YAML draft prepared by @jamie756 in Github. Contributions are called “Pull Request” (PR) on Github. Here is the PR for this one

How to make suggestions/changes to the draft YAML in PR

Further suggestions/changes to this metadata should be handled in the PR, by selecting the relevant lines, then adding a comment & suggestion. Example;

Card numbering system

Each “expansion” gets its own YAML file. Each card in an “expansion” should be assigned a unique card “number” for that expansion. It typically starts from 1 but card “numbers” may contain letters (like prefixes) too, e.g. GB5 is also valid. Alternate arts can take suffixes too, e.g. 43b

Scan file naming

Each scan file should be named equal to their card number in the set. Example;

id: 116-1
pioId: unnumbered-1
enumId: SLOWPOKE_1
name: Slowpoke
nationalPokedexNumber: 79
number: ‘1’

For above card definition, its scan file should be either 1.jpg or 1.png.

Needless to say cards of each expansion goes into a different folder.

Scans

We are tracking the scans in this Dropbox folder.

Note that this link is view only. If you wish to contribute just send me a PM or reply below then I’ll send you the editing link.

Kudos to @linkinboss for preparing and uploading scans!

Latest Updates

I am sharing some latest messages here for visibility;

Next Items

Please review & comment suggestions on the PR shared above.

Let me know whether it makes sense to include all GB Exclusive Cards alongside this work? Or do you think it should be done separately? I am especially interested to have all the cards that produce random effects, as getting those random effects implemented here would be fun. @FGR89 have shared some of them in this topic in the past but there are many more to be done. We can find a numbering system that works for all. Either in separate expansions or a single one. Please comment on what you think would be the best.

1 Like

I got all the TCG1 cards done in an older template, but I can move them to the higher-quality Neo template I got. Regarding the TCG 2 since there is no official source for the illustrations, I’d like to see how I can procure illustrations that I have permission to use, so far I’ve only done Dark Clefable from that game.

1 Like

Getting @linkinboss’s fan-made scans on TCG ONE would be great. The quality of his work is unmatched!

1 Like

Regarding the Game Boy cards, it would obviously be fun to have them, but if they were ever to be implemented on TCG ONE, they should only be legal in a recreation of the GameBoy formats. This would be low priority IMO since Nintendo Switch Online already lets you play the GB1 format online now.

1 Like

If they’re already done I don’t think extra work is needed for now but up to you. Can you please upload them too?

Wild idea: How about enlarging the in-game sprites with generational AI?

What do you mean? How many of these illustrations you had “permission to use”? I normally assume rogue but we could be missing some introductions :slight_smile:

Let’s see

so for TCG 1, they are lower resolution, so I thought they could be updated. I can put them in the meantime and update them later though.

As for AI I’ve tried and the results are pretty bad, they don’t manage to draw actual Pokemon. As for permission for illustrations, the TCG 1 ones are Ken Sugimori illustrations plus backgrounds, which I’ve either commissioned or found within the commercial photo sets that were found a few years ago. the ones for TCG 2 were made by someone I met a few years ago, I would have to check out if it’s ok to use them, but even then, there are a few that would need to be made.

Just chiming in: the Game Boy formats would be a decent amount of work to add considering all the cards would need to be coded. I assume the Devs would rather finish all the real missing cards and then the unreleased promos before we’d even tackle this.

For now, I think it’s best we focus on the real cards that are still missing.

That’s true, though I think the random effects of the GB cards should be very simple in theory, they could be best summarized as just 1 to X alternatives, and pick 1 random. On top of that, there is the decompilation of TCG 1 which should give a good insight into how the effect can be programmed.

I just mean to say they shouldn’t be a big-time sink either way.

1 Like

So I uploaded everything done. I left both new and old versions of tangela so you can see more or less how much the quality increases.

An important note regarding the gameboy formats is that some cards that got printed they have slightly different wording (Like meowth being fully random instead of the coin flip, same with dark raichu, and gr’s mewtwo), so these would have to be made unavailable and add the corresponding version.

1 Like

Just popping my head in to say that I am really, really goping to get a GB1 format and GB2 format going on this site!! :drooling_face: Yes, there are ways to play online, but this website has always been THE place to play classic formats, online. I cannot find anyone to play the GB1 game with me online, including my best friend who promised me months ago that he would. :laughing:

1 Like

GB1 can be played on Nintendo Switch Online, but GB2 isn’t on NSO yet. There is a Discord group that organizes small tournaments for GB1 on NSO.

When it comes time to program these formats, I will lend myself to make sure it is done properly!

I appreciate your dedication. It will definitely need some rule tweaks, as I previously mentioned. For one, there is no mulligan rule in the Gameboy games, as well as infinite retreats. :sweat_smile: