Why is there no xy block?

I’m confused on why we just go from black and white block straight to sm series skipping the xy block unless there isn’t a xy block

This too would be a fun block to have, especially since it could allow the unbanning of Lysandre’s Trump Card!

i feel like trump card could still be banned only because it got banned essentially on release due to how insanely powerful it was even for the standard format, let alone expanded.

I agree with sammym2001 it would probably be to powerful especially due to the limited amount of cards compared to expanded or even standard

Historically Jason does not like banning cards in block formats, and to be fair, the worst Item card that a Seismitoad EX deck could abuse with Lysandre, Hypnotoxic Laser, has rotated.

Here is a list of XY era deck lists by Jason and other expert players. See what decks run Lysandre’s Trump Card and why.

In any case, Jason makes a persuasive argument for why Shaymin EX was the true ban worthy card, and not Lysandre, but he then turns around and says that he doesn’t want to ban Shaymin EX in the XY Block Format either.

(Skip to the picture of Shaymin EX to read Jason’s insights on Shaymin EX.)

One major difference between the Worlds 2016 format and the XY format is that the XY format can be allowed to unban Lysandre’s Trump Card. As a Pokémon TCG purist, I never like to remove cards from the eras they were intended to be played in. So keep Lysandre’s Trump Card. Keep Shaymin-EX. Keep and embrace all of the craziness that is XY.
While Lysandre’s Trump Card is certainly a format-changing card, if you play the XY format you’ll come to realize this card isn’t as powerful as you may have been expecting. That’s because much of its strength came from existing alongside the strongest Items from the Black & White era, like Hypnotoxic Laser and the Ace Spec Trainers. Without these Items, you cannot unleash the same amount of fury on your opponent each time you restore your discard pile.

(Jason’s reason for not banning Shaymin EX or Lysandre’s Trump card in an era that is supposed to be an authentic experience of the entire XY era card pool.)

1 Like