Proposal for a Base-Neo Banlist

Although highly controversial, here’s my proposal for a Base-Neo regulation.

I understand the position of some players to leave the format unchanged, but this view colerates more to a touristic approach to formats. My proposal is for the hardcore classic Pokemon players who probably will play this format on weekly basis, if not daily.

Essentially, the very good cards are limited to 1 and the too good cards are banned. The goal was to create a format that was an extension of Rocket-LC but with more technicality and better options to get KOs on babies, without making evolutions less prevalent.

Cards with an * are under observation for a possible ban.

Banned
Base set :
Blastoise
Chansey
Lass
Super Energy Removal

Jungle :
Mr Mime
Wigglytuff

Fossil :
Aerodactyle
Mr Fuji

Limited
Base set :
Hitmonchan
Mewtwo
Electabuzz
Electrode *
Defender
Professor Oak *
Computer Search
Item Finder
Energy Removal *
Gust of wind

Jungle :
Scyther
Lickitung *
Clefable
Kanghaskan

Fossil :
Magmar
Ditto *

Ban Watch List
Base set :
Clefairy
Haunter
Revive
Double Colorless Energy

1 Like

Seems good, how we try with a tournement.

The goal wasn’t to fix base-neo, it was to make it into a different format, a playable format. Under my banlist, cards like Vileplume and Muk aren’t that good. Stall isn’t viable.

The problem with ban/restricted lists is that they’re all arbitrary and no one will agree on what should or shouldn’t be banned or restricted. There’s at least an established competitive community for the Japanese system linked above, so if any new Base-Neo format were to be added, I’d expect it to be that one. Otherwise, I don’t see it happening. Prop 15/3 was (for exactly one event) an officially sanctioned tournament format in the US, and multiple tournaments have been run on TCG1 in that format, and yet even that hasn’t been incorporated at the program level—the only way to play it is still by creating a Base-Gym quickplay game and putting “Prop 15/3” in the description, hoping whoever joins the game knows what that means and agrees to abide by the rules.

Having said all that, the best way to test the viability and worth of a custom format like this is by organizing tournaments that use it. Get people to try it out that way and see how it plays.

I guess under this format, people would be playing Alakazam and Slowbro still with the likes of Machamp or Arcanine if this were Base - Fossil. Dark Vileplume is easily countered by a tech Igglybuff most of the time. Yeah, Muk can get annoying. I don’t play Base - Neo too often, but that’s what I think. Things like Ho-oh or Lugia (Neo Revelation) and more broken than Chansey.

Hell no XD

1 Like

The JP point buy system tries to do the same thing already with a lot more support and history.

1 Like

What puts Revive on your ban watchlist?

1 Like

recycling limited basics to do certain combos.

Wow! Cleffa wasn’t amended for pokemod? wow talk about boring stallers being in control :confused:
The idea of pokemon is to knock your opponents out, not stand there and be a mongy blob as a form of defence. That being said: Blocking is impotant but it needs to be active in such a slow game

It’s actually not that hard if some rules are amended…
(I’ve obv forgot a few too)

Ban: Cleffa, Rocket’s Sneak Attack, Voltorb (JP)
Make Supporter: Team Rocket’s Trap, Professors, Removals, Gust of Wind, Bill
Make Tool: Pluspower / Defender
Limit 4: Haymakers/Chansey/DCE/Mewtwo/Rocket’s Zapdos

1 Like

Not sure what you’re going on about PokeMod in here for. This has nothing to do with PokeMod. It is about the normal Pokemon TCG.

1 Like

If you’re not v smart, then I get why you don’t see the correlation: I’ll explain slowly.

I talk about Pokemod because the people who had the chance to amend some of the game’s issues chose not to. It shows that most people like (brainless plays and the janky trainer-centric game that comes with it.) so won’t agree with restrictions on the card that holds most decks together.

Base-Neo is dead, and for good reason, this game peaked at Sandstorm

[Pokemod would be great if completed, although I think the team have reservations on how to tackle the rulebox problem]