For a while now, the staff and I have been discussing some thoughts that I proposed (since September 3rd) and we’ve come to a consensus regarding them as of a couple weeks ago. The only thing that put the plans on hold to move forward have been a lack of permissions for me to put the changes through. axpendix has went through and fixed this issue, so we’re now onto the first step of this plan: telling you all about it!
I was asked by a member in the Discord to make these changes known before putting them in, as I weirdly didn’t think of that. Anyway, by doing this, I hope for any members to voice their opinions, critiques, etc. so we can address them before putting any of these through.
These changes won’t be put through until 1 week from today, October 22nd. Once all concerns are cleared by then, I will begin putting all the changes below (the list will change as I modify based on thoughts from you, the community, so check the edit history of this thread to see what is changing on it).
Anyway, here is the list of all the things I plan to do. (Click on an item in the list below to see more details!)
#1: Add a proper set of rules
A long-time concern of some members was our lack of rules. While we’ve barely ever gotten criticism for harsh punishment or anything as such, we do want to make it transparent what exactly we moderate based on. This may be self-explanatory for most people, but the rules are quite simple, and there aren’t going to be any crazy or unexpected rules. Here is the list:
Rule #1: Be mindful and respectful of other users.
Actions such as witch-hunting, promoting/discussing racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, and/or ableist behavior, harassing others, brigading, flamebaiting, and being toxic to other users are not allowed. This includes usernames, nicknames, playing statuses, profile pictures, along with any other possible methods in Discord itself. Under no circumstances should you impersonate any other user on the server. Additionally, please refrain from posting images or emotes that flash rapidly in bright colors without proper warnings. Please also refrain from speaking on sensitive topics unless they pertain to the server in some way (please message a moderator if you are concerned that your message may be breaking this rule). Finally, please do not breach other users’ privacy and post private information, doxes, or anything similar in the server.
Rule #2: No NSFW/NSFL content of any kind.
This includes, but is not limited to: images, videos, links, discussions, and profiles. That includes nudity, sexual content, censored sexual imagery, sexual touching, gore, and animal cruelty. Skimpy clothing (bikinis, underwear, etc) may be considered NSFW unless it is official art relating to Pokemon, or artwork based on it that does not err toward being sexual. If a post is deemed inappropriate for the server and breaches Discord’s Terms of Service, it will be removed and you will likely be banned.
Rule #3: No spamming of any kind.
Emoji or image spam, repeating the same or similar text over and over, repeating unnecessary bot commands, long messages which are irrelevant to the conversation; anything that disrupts normal conversation is not allowed. Unsolicited direct message spam is also not allowed.
Rule #4: Staff have the final say on rules and moderation.
Should a staff member ask you to stop doing something or move a conversation to another channel, please follow accordingly. We are not doing this to single you out or disrupt your conversation, and we mean this politely. Please refer to channel topics for what is acceptable in each channel. You may discuss the reasoning for moderation action to a staff member via PM, but please avoid discussion in the server if it can be helped. Only mention staff roles if a user is breaking the rules. Include a reason or summary of what happened in your message. Blocking staff members is not prohibited, but if a staff member you have blocked is attempting to moderate your behavior, you cannot claim ignorance if you continue and become subject to further staff actions.
#2: Reorganize, change, and reorient almost all channels/categories
As this section says, we want to overhaul/move channels around. Not much more to say. Below indicates the proposed new channel/category structures.
(bold indicates new channels, bold/italics indicates moved/changed channels)
Important Info (We would be deleting #giveaways due to its inactivity and no plans to resurge it from us. Any future giveaways will likely be in announcements if any)
- welgome (We want to redo all of welgome to add the rules and just generally update its info that is missing)
- faq (While initially proposed as its own channel and thought to be put together with welgome, I’m specifically against this being merged with welgome as this should be constantly updated to fit new information and questions)
- tournaments (Rename #tournament to tournaments and restrict it so only those with the organizer/mod/dev/admin role can speak in it)
- tourney-talk *(For discussion about tournaments and to talk during tournaments, so that communication can be kept in one spot)
TCG Discussion (this would be the main chat category)
- ptcg-news (Could be a potential channel we stick on top as news for the PTCG? Essentially parroting info from pokebeach/other sources. I’m not very firm or hugely interested in this idea unless you guys think we should do it, I would be interested to bring a community member to post things for this. This could also be up in Important Info in regards to the category this is in)
- ptcg-discussion (This would be the new main channel. I will move the current meta channel to this and add a new channel in its place called modern-meta as proposed by starg09)
- welgome-newcomers (Change general from the channel that currently welcomes new members of the server to this because general is clogged with messages of just welcomes. A lot of the time there isnt much discussion in here)
- general (We would archive the current offtopic channel [this archive may or may not be public, not decided yet] and just put the current general in its place, with better moderation. offtopic has a lot of spam and is not well moderated. That isn’t anybody’s fault in particular, I think we just tend to leave it on mute and ignore what happens in it. We may disable image uploads if it becomes problematic)
- art (Reorient this to be more open-ended with art probably)
- memes (Offtopic is just this at this point. I’m not against people joking around and stuff, but offtopic isn’t really “offtopic”, it’s this)
Pokémod (While there isn’t anything wrong with having Pokémod in other sections, I brought the idea of a separate category to ZF_Goku and he seemed to like this idea. This way he can have a section of the server he can moderate and manage himself and add to as much as he likes. It helps keep his stuff together)
- pokémod-news (I feel this would be good to let people know of any current progressions in Pokémod, for JappaWakka and ZF_Goku to share their works)
- pokémod-dev (I brought up this idea to ZF_Goku to have a dev channel for this so we can handle development in a separate channel as this project is massive, so a public dev channel for Pokémod feels good to have)
#3: Add bots to the server
This particular part of the server overhaul will likely not be done by the time #1 and #2 are done, so discussion for this will continue as long as necessary.
We are not firm at all on any thoughts for a bot, but this was an idea we were discussing a while ago before all these overhauls, and a bot would be very helpful. We are well aware of the interest in a bot that shows cards, and we will look into this as well. Please link any good bots you know of! (I know some of you voiced interest in a particular one, I genuinely don’t remember it)
A big thing we’re looking to have is a self-hosted bot for ourselves to use that we can fully control, so I volunteered to host a bot. The issue is figuring out what software is good for this. I am currently between NadekoBot (suggested by starg09) and Red (suggested by me, I have used this before). We’re specifically just looking for moderation uses, so if you have any suggestions, please let us know!
I also want to add a bot for reaction roles so I don’t have to worry about pinging everyone unnecessarily! I’ve used Carl on other servers and I feel like adding this is a good way to add some nice engagement features that it provides. Any thoughts for other bots, let us know!
I hope this clears up everything about these changes we discussed. If you have any questions, concerns, etc. please reply letting me know! You may also message me on Discord at BNFP#9601 (my name is scoot404 in the member list if you just want to get a hold of me) if you would prefer to speak to me directly.
Thank you for reading!
EDIT 1: Moved tourney-talk/tournaments into an Events category as proposed by starg09
EDIT 2: Redacted image upload restrictions for general as proposed by TheAquaPiplup