Format Organization by Category

As TCG ONE adds the final missing sets, we will end up with over 30 formats to choose from! Instead of keeping a giant dropdown list, I propose that formats be organized by being separated into one of four different categories, which will make your favorite formats easier to find. Here is the four categories formats can be divided into:

1. WotC Formats
This includes all the Base-on formats, Prop 15/3, and WotC’s two Modified formats

2. Block Formats
This section creates a block format for each era of the game. (e-Card, EX, DPP, etc.)

3. Worlds Formats
This includes all of TPCi’s Worlds formats from 2004 onward

4. Misc. Formats
The stuff that doesn’t fit in one of the other three. For example, Legacy, Unlimited, Pre-EX 2012.

Possible additional categories can include an Expanded category for previous Expanded formats and an International category for variants played only in specific regions.

Here’s how the full list would look:

WotC
Base–Fossil
Base–Rocket
Base–Gym
Prop 15/3 (Base–Gym)
2002 Standard (Base–Neo)
2002 Modified (Rocket–LC)
2003 Modified (Neo–Skyridge)

Blocks
e-Card Block (EX–SK)
EX Block (RS–PK)
DPP Block (DP–AR)
HGSS Block (HS–CL)
BW Block (BLW–LTR)
XY Block (XY–EVO)
SM Block (SUM–CEC)
SWSH Block (SSH–CRZ)

Worlds
Worlds 2004 (EX–HL)
Worlds 2005 (RS-EM)
Worlds 2006 (HL–HP)
Worlds 2007 (DX–DP)
Worlds 2008 (HP–MD)
Worlds 2009 (DP–RR)
Worlds 2010 (DP–UL)
Worlds 2011 (HS–BLW)
Worlds 2012 (HS–DEX)
Worlds 2013 (BLW–PLF)
Worlds 2014 (NXD–FLF)
Worlds 2015 (BCR–ROS)
Worlds 2016 (XY–STS)
Worlds 2017 (PRC-BUS)
Worlds 2018 (BKT–CES)
Worlds 2019 (UPR–UNM)

Misc
Legacy (HS–LTR)
Pre-EX 2012 (HS–NVI)
Unlimited (Base-on)

Unlimited like what we have now, or actual Unlimited, where Sableye is gonna be busted?

Unlimited should technically include as many sets as TCG ONE has. It is obviously a silly and wild format at this point, which is why few people play it. However, there’s no harm in offering the format for someone who wants to try out their wild deck ideas. I was simply interested in categorizing it.

2 Likes

Right, like me. Unlimited would allow you to be able to do any type of format you want with your friends. We definitely need that.

As for what we’re voting for, I’m completely fine with this as long as we have an option also create custom formats like we currently do.

Love the idea! Another category for player-made formats, too. :wink:

Tbh I don’t want cards past HGSS in unlimited because the format would basically become expanded with broken trainers from base to Neo

I don’t think you are supposed to worry too much about the formats that he is suggesting… The point of the topic is to suggest the concept of categories for the formats since there are so many possibilities. The ones he listed are all examples… But, if you want to talk about these kinds of things, I did suggest many new formats in a different thread and instead of calling a format “Unlimited,” I suggested a new one called “Anything Goes.” Check it out, here: My thoughts of custom formats/banlists