[BR] Rare Candy (UL 82). Magnemite (TM 68). Rare Candy works on

Rare Candy (UL 82). Magnemite (TM 68). Rare Candy works on T1

------------------Begin Game Log------------------
The game is about to start
Type: QuickPlay
Format: 2011 (HGSS–BLW)
Battle begins between doritoswizard and 6you7me!
Coin flip []: HEADS
doritoswizard will start
Game setup complete
Between turns
Turn 1 begins
doritoswizard drew 1 card
doritoswizard played Rare Candy.
Magnemite evolved into Magnezone
[6you7me]: You cant do that
[doritoswizard]: LOL
[doritoswizard]: bug report time
[6you7me]: Rare Candy is bugged in this format

Admin must have assumed that the card still functioned as printed until the Dark Explorers reprint. I myself thought everyone was assuming the new Rare Candy was printed a year earlier until I realized I needed to check some primary sources. I quickly found an article discussing the “Rare Candy errata,” published in June of 2011. I still can’t find the official announcement Pokémon made telling players that Rare Candy was being errata’d, so I hope this is enough.

https://www.onehitko.com/2011/06/06/opinion-why-rare-candy-is-no-longer-a-good-card/

1 Like

@JanJanKiq could you please advise?

The wording of Rare Candy is now as follows, “Choose 1 of your Basic Pokémon in play. If you have a Stage 2 card in your hand that evolves from that Pokémon, put that card on the Basic Pokémon. (This counts as evolving that Pokémon.) You can’t use this card during your first turn or on a Basic Pokémon that was put into play this turn.” So now it can’t be used on your first turn, and it can’t be used on a Pokémon played this turn.

Source: TPCi Announcement (2011-04-11), PUI Rules Team (2011-05-05)

1 Like

I didn’t realize the compendium cites the date of each ruling! That is a very useful piece of information.

I guess this just goes to show why I have only tested about ten bug reports to date: I’m still not proficient in navigating the primary source of Pokémon TCG rulings.

1 Like

To reiterate what has been said: Rare Candy can be used on a Basic Pokémon that was just put into play that turn, including a player’s first turn in the HGSS block format and prior formats

1 Like

Hi, the fix will be released in the next patch :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.