The case of the missing Gym trainer holos in Career [resolved]

@admin I think I may have found the reason as to why the Holo gym trainer cards like Erika for example never show up when opening the gym series packs. Please have a look at the pictures below.

As you can see the class says holo. But the class should say something like Superior or Epic.
Its not just the Gym Heroes trainers either. The gym challenge trainers have this same problem.

The Rocket’s Trap is correctly labelled as Superior, and I have been able to pull at least 1 of these in packs, in the past month now, but because of this whole “Holo” wording, I believe it has effected the rarity as to when the card is pulled, and since such a rarity doesn’t exist, will never appear.

This may be a bug or an oversight, but I am hoping this gets fixed so these cards get their proper rarity, so they will be added back to the normal gym series packs.

1 Like

Holo cards (with non-holo versions) work a bit different in packs. Let me explain: A number of cards in older expansions have holo and non-holo versions. Since their effect is the same, we (@0f3f and I) decided to only set cardclass (epic, superior, rare, etc) for the non-holo card and let a pack contain only the non-holo version, with a little change: during the random generation of the pack, for every generated card in the pack, if a card has a holo version, replace it with its holo version 1/3 of the time.

So basically, what your trying to say is, that upon pulling the card (if its a non holo, which also has a holo version), there would still a 1/3 chance as to the card being turned into a Holo foil copy of the same card?

I checked the other expansions, like you said, and they too have the “holo” rarity as well, but unlike the gym series packs (which i still have had no luck with), I have been able to get holos from these packs. 2 weeks ago I got a Holo Foil Dark Arbok card from one of the free packs. And I’ve had a Holo foil Expedition Kingler card this week. I guess its just my luck that I haven’t been able to get lucky with the gym packs.

I have also screenshotted a pack I opened a while ago (before December) from the e-card series packs i opened which had 2 holo foil cards in the same booster pack. Thought that was some crazy stuff right there.

If you see a nonholo marked as holo or a holo marked as rare, epic or superior, then it means there is a problem, because all these connections and classifications are crafted manually in the code, which is error prone. Other than that, it is probably bad luck :slight_smile:

We had a free pack simulator before career v2. Maybe I’ll put that to somewhere so that we can simulate opening bunch of packs to see if there’s a problem with distribution later on.

Cheers

2 Likes

Holo gym trainers DO EXIST!!! :smiley:

Sorry for bumping this, but I just wanted to show this off. Its a pack I just opened from the coins earned from a quest. I’m super happy for pulling a Holo gym trainer card.

I made this thread because I was just super unlucky, and thought, that the “Holo” rarity was a bug that prevented players from getting these exclusive Holo versions of non Holo cards. Then you, Admin, cleared it up by saying that cards with both a holo and non holo version would have a 1/3 chance of appearing over their non holo counterpart when pulled.

With a little luck i was able to prove to myself and pull it of, and that it is indeed possible to get a Holo gym trainer card from the gym series packs.

1 Like